In the event that the distribution of an estate is unfairly distributed, a child or spouse of a deceased individual may apply to Court to vary the terms of a Will. The law that applies in such cases is the Wills Variation Act. It is important to note that there is a time limitation for making such an application.

The Estate Administration Act includes in the definition of “spouse”, common-law spouses who have lived with a deceased individual for at least two years immediately prior to death.

South Point Law Centre can provide competent advice regarding potential claims under the Wills Variation Act.